My Liberal Pie Hole

Friday, November 11, 2005

Growing Up

Well, my brother turns 18 today. Which is odd, because when I picture him in my head, I swear, he is still 5 years old. I know I still want to protect him like he is 5. With a 9 year age difference, I was defiantly in charge of keeping him from getting his ass kicked. I had help; Meegan often stepped up to the plate and threatened the little bullies in the neighborhood from the driver’s seat of her Volvo. Classis Meegan style!

My brother has always had an old soul. He was always too mature for his age group and was often left out of social activities with his peers. It broke my heart when he was growing up. It was so easy for me to make friends, and his awkwardness was an eye-opener. Though I was always overprotective, with the help of my husband, I have been able to let go of the little boy I helped raise and welcome my brother into my life as a man. And a wonderful man at that. Last night, he actually made me laugh pretty damn hard when he spoke of the fact that he knew he had zero sex appeal. I never thought I would hear that phrase come out of his mouth.

Happy Birthday, Eddie! I love you!

3 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Meegan said...

Happy birthday to Eddie! Seems like just yesterday he really WAS 5 and we were busy messing with his little head. I can't remember what we were doing but there was one time when I told him that he had almost killed you and that if you died he would go to jail, and he was all freaked out. (Does this ring a bell? You're the one with the memory.)

As for that effing brat, Michael L., yeah I'd forgotten about that, too. I do remember how nice it felt to threaten a little 10-year-old brat. What did I say? Something like, "If you mess with Edward again you'll be sorry."? I hate that kid. He must be in college now, as big a jackass as ever.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Liz said...

That happened when Eddie bit me so hard it left a huge bruise. I really made him cry that time! Hehehehe

Michael L and his sister have actually turned out well. Surprising, I know. I would still threaten both of their lives again, though. They were cruel. But then, so way I with our class nerd, Rob K. I just thought it was funny when we were that age. If I only knew what type of harm I was inflicting. That is something I wish I could go back and change. It makes me ashamed when I think of how I treated him.

Knowing that shame, and knowing how Michael and his sister have turned out have given me the insight and ability to have forgiven them.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger FINY said...

You and I really are the same person. My brother is 19 and though we've only got a 6 year age difference I am DEFINITELY protective of him. He too is an "old soul".

Happy Birthday, Eddie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home