My Liberal Pie Hole

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

MMMMMMMM.............

Tomorrow, I will start one of my favorite days of the year. Thanksgiving is a time when my father and I do what we love most, cook together. I love cooking with my dad. He always encouraged me to help in the kitchen, and because of his efforts, I am what some would call a “foodie”. I love everything about food, from the way it is prepared to the presentation, to the enjoyment of the eater. It is the most fulfillment I can find in something other than my friends and family.

Dinner starts at 7 PM. It will be a 4 course sit down meal for 14 people. This is the type of thing I live for. It is about family and tradition. All the same stories will be told, and we will laugh at them like we are hearing them for the first time. They are like warm blankets reminding us of times shared with our loved ones who are no longer with us. For example: the time my grandmother Doddie drove off the pier while returning her sailor boyfriend to his ship during WWII. Or the time Doddie somehow mysteriously lost her skirt driving to a football game with my grandfather, Jack. Or the time Doddie stopped to have a drink with her friend Nancy at a little bar in Port Townsend and forgot to set her emergency brake (she watched from the bar as her car rolled through the front window of a vacuum store). Hopefully, someone will say grace in place of my grandfather this year, and right after “Father, we would like to thank you for the meal we are about to receive” hopefully that person will say “and please, let us weather these next 2 years with that idiot in office, and send us a Democrat that can be elected as president. Amen.” That is the traditional Jack prayer. If my father is too emotional, I may have to give it myself.

I hope you all have a day that is as wonderful as mine will be. Happy Turkey Day, to you and yours.

Gobble, gobble!

15 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Meegan said...

Great post! I never knew Doddie was such a wild woman -- well, you must get it from somewhere.

Give your fam my best. The thought of a dinner prepared by both you and your dad is making my mouth water. Is your dad in charge of the tofurkey?

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Liz said...

More like the turducken. You know what that is, don't you? It is a turkey stuffed with a duck that is stuffed with a chicken. That is Mr. Beer's idea of heaven.

What I cannot wait for is the tomato pudding. YUMMMMMM!!!!!!

And as for Doddie, I get my sense of humor from her. Remember, she is the one who used to sneak into the attic when she was a student at Stadium and smoke.

She was a fun lady and a rebel with class to spare.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Liz said...

we are not having a turducken, btw

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Meegan said...

Thank god you weren't serious. Because I know that would be your dad's idea of heaven. My god, I was about to eat lunch but I think my appetite is ruined. That is the most disgusting image ever!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Liz said...

well, they do exist. we just won't be serving one.

happy eating, birthday girl!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Esther said...

I tend to have no involvement in cooking for Thanksgiving, despite the fact that I like cooking.
Have a good one!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger East Coast Teacher said...

My boss was going to serve turducken for Thanksgiving, but decided to forgo it until next year. But to me, it sounds good.

I'm ready for the turkey, stuffing, antipasto, dessert, more antipasto and curling up on the couch to watch the Macys parade.

Happy Turkey Day to you, too :)

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Liz said...

thanks E and Girlie!

(as a side note from Meegan's blog, I think we should all start calling Esther "Madonna".

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Happy thanksgiving Lizy!! :-)

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Liz said...

thanks, K. you too, (you have Tday up north, don't you?)

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Chief Slacker said...

I second that prayer and also hope that you have a wonderful Turkey day as well!

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Jack said...

You know what would really top off that Turkducken?

Bacon.

Mmmmm bacon.

Happy Thanksgiving :)

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger LoraLoo said...

Hope your Thanksgiving was as memorable as always!

I especially like the car through the vacuum store window story. :) I know I'd laugh at that every year.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Liz said...

well, my family doesn't wear thongs, but we do have Beer Family Birthday every year. we are ALL born in August, so we have one big party, always a BBQ!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home